The name Cape Henry was chosen because of its deep roots in southeast Virginia and our nation. Those roots began on April 26, 1607, when the first English settlers, led by Captain Christopher Newport, landed in the New World on the shores of Virginia where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay. At this “First Landing” site they erected a cross, gave thanks to God, and named the location Cape Henry. On May 14, these settlers would establish the first permanent English settlement in America: Jamestown.
Nearly two centuries later in 1789, the First Congress of the United States, during their very first session, enacted a law to establish a lighthouse at Cape Henry. The law was authorized by President George Washington and overseen by Alexander Hamilton. Cape Henry Lighthouse is the first federal building and public works project of the United States Government under the Constitution. Built with the same Aquia sandstone as much of Washington, D.C, the lighthouse guided sea travelers with confidence for almost 100 years. In 1881, using the best technology of the time, the distinctive black and white striped “New” Cape Henry Lighthouse was built. Both the new and old lighthouses still stand today, just a few miles from our office.
At Cape Henry Private Wealth Group we strive to carry-on the same spirit of guidance that the Cape Henry Lighthouse sought to do and to uphold the same principles of Faith, Family and Freedom that guided those early Americans who founded our nation.